Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Salamanders Green (part 2A) page 17


"I have written novels to find out what I thought about something and poems to find out what I felt about something" - May Sarton, Journal Of A Solitude, Norton 1973.

A quote from my new love. except for Henry Miller and Richard Brautigan, all the writers I love are women: Anais Nin, Colette, Annie Dillard, Edna O'Brien Joyce Carrol Oates, Ursula LeGuin, Nikki Giovani - These I love for their work I do not "study" them, I do not try to "know" them but I love their work. There are others I read and enjoy but these are the ones I love as surely as if I'd given birth to them or made love with them - my literary lovers.

Anais is my saint. She has had the most influence on me. Through her I met Miller and Durrell and others and then through them more. My first lover introduced me to Anais.

Miller, Henry is the only male author whose work aroused in me a love. Not only for the work but for the man, for the courage of the man behind the work.

Picasso - The ultimate creator, the man who knew more about giving birth than any woman. I have tears over Duncan’s photographs of him; I stand in awe and quiet hysteria before his work in New York City. I think to understand him is to understand art. One must not be too serious, too reverent, but rather take fist fulls of flesh and guzzles of wine. Art is like a dog if you approach it with fear you get nothing.

I wonder is it healthy to love people who are dead as if they were living?
The cat wanders around the house whining in his Siamese language. He is restless for the fish in the pan. He is up on the counter and almost into the frying pan before I can catch him. He is rambling incoherently now, but when I ask him if he wants a piece he calms down enough to remind me that it needs rinsing in cold water so that he won't scorch his tongue. After lunch he gets me to open the door for him, he won't be back again until he's lonely or hungry...
I need a home. I need my books around me, my typewriter fixed and a desk to put it on. I need my easel in plain view with a clean blank canvass set up on it - after looking at it long enough it's blankness will annoy me to the point where I must attack it violently with colour. A place to be, to work, to explore myself and my world. A laboratory to experiment freely without people running or phones ringing, door knockings or T.V.ing. A place to be bold with a woman, a place to hide away from those days that make me fall apart. I want my own kitchen table to write on and to be able to breakfast out in the sunshine with my own friend who has come to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment