Sunday, April 22, 2012

salamanders green part 2A page 13


HELP SAVE A LIFE
homeless artist in need of adoption
great companion
good with children
all shots up to date.

Put together some eggs and stuff for the kid. Used a paper towel to filter the coffee, worked well, a little anisette to sweeten and we have the perfect after dishes after feeding Sean his breakfast treat. Want to go somewhere today, don't care or know where but got some cash, got my son got the old lady's car and she's sleeping so - got the world on a string... everything I need well almost, Seany wants me to go back and get Duchess, our black Doberman. So OK Seany you’re right we have to take her with us so she won't cry. We drive up to the golf course where I work; we cut out off the main road on to a pot holed maintenance road and park along the edge of an abandoned fairway. I leave the car door open so we can hear the radio and me and the kid and the dog run around like mad until the rain gets there and we pack up ourselves into the old Cutlass Supreme head out to A&W burger joint. “Be sure and get extra pickles on the one for Duchess. She really likes them you know Dad.” That big scary black devil Doberman loves my son almost as much as I do. Dear old duchess with her red bandanna collar. Patience of a saint never growled at the kid even when he'd pull her eyelids out and twist them in his tiny little fists. Saint Duchess only whines a bit waiting for me to rescue her from the tyranny of toddlers. And when he was learning to walk? Wasn't it Duchess like some black devil mother hen following just behind as if to make sure no harm would come to her charge and when as he occasionally did, Sean fell? Wasn't it Duchess on the spot licking his face so that any thought of tears vanished into tickled laughter? There was a time when I'd always carry a pen and a wad of note paper where ever I went. I'd be writing poems in the woods, in the churches, the mens rooms, the bar, leaning up in a doorway out of the rain down-town the heavy smoke of damp cigarettes lace the perfume of cheap port wine like a brown paper bag coming up with ink stains from my coat pocket cold bricks against my neck leaning back out of the rain breathing deep the cold air that waits for snow...

It's been a long time since I've done that needless to say it's been a long time since I came up with a line of poetry. Today I was going through some things and found one of those wads of paper with some writing on it and also tucked in was an old Bic pen - still works! So how does one resist? What the fuck, why not write?

I've not been with my wife or son, been staying at my parents. I'm sitting here trying to sort out my feelings listening to my brother's stereo - Dylan, Don't Think Twice It's Alright, Neil Young, Oh Lonesome Me.... There is a large lump where my heart used to be and it's so cold it feels like pain.
Still what I am needing most is a place to live so Money! Money, money everywhere but not a cent for me. I think if I had enough money I could have kept my wife, she loves new cars and big houses and clothes and furniture and somewhere down the line maybe there used to be I'm going to take a walk up by the reservoir. The place where I "grew up", the place of first acid trips and parties, the place of good comrades and the first time I made love. There is a place I go there a place where my first lover and I sat by the little pond hidden by the red pines, a place of still remembering, a happy good remembering, a grateful remembering of you Mary.

Along, along... and here I am 24 years old smoking to many cigarettes, working my ass off for three dollars and fifty cents an hour, living at my parents, sleeping on the sofa in a house full of cat hair, and my wife has told me to leave her alone - to get the fuck out, she wants to go out with other guys to see if she can't be happier and if not well then maybe she'll take me back. My sons got no family. I got no friend to talk to, no woman to love - and they still ain't gonna keep me down 'cause somewhere there is a little bit of luck left and no matter what happens I'm gonna be around. Painful, yes but not fatal! I'll still be here for a while longer, here in this life, here on this planet and I suppose it doesn't really mean a thing. Pain is just another way of seeing how alive you are. So I'm gonna shake these lonesome blues get the fuck out and find someone new....
Sitting here reading through what I've written, it's been months since the last word.... and where does one start? How to get back into the groove? Lesson number one: You can never go back! Which is no solution to my problem - to write. I'm not living any where still the couch at Mom and Dad's. Haven't painted in about six months and its been almost as long since any poetry. It's crazy all the wasted time. Doing the bar scene, a few mid night escapades, girls who make me happy for a while, sell a little coke, make love to Suli once in a while afterwards feeling so achey because you can never really go back. I have dreams of telephone calls from women in big rooms full with blank canvasses and death and terrors. Dreams - these images are common in my dreams.

Looking for love among the ruins. Among the "friends" who fuck my wife, among the spilt stale beer blue fog across the bar room television light. Looking for love among the ruins the shell shocked soldier bleeds red from his eyes, from his heart and from underneath his finger nails. Big titted broads fresh vomit on their breath hungry for kisses, little girl giggles, teasers pleasers, playing card people flipping one game after the other, power plays just getting you to say OK. is enough, she never shows and when you call no one knows just who you are but she might be back tomorrow, and when you call no one knows just who you are but could you not call here anymore. I am some misguided saint, my lamp dull above the darkness - show me an honest person and I’ll call you a liar. A veteran on the battlefield ending up with scars that should but cannot be hidden, wounds that should but cannot be fatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment